Project dates: 20 – 30 July 2015
Project place: Pedoulas, Nicosia, Agros – Cyprus
Deadline for application: 23.06.2015
About the organizers:
Youth for Exchange and Understanding (YEU) is an International Non-Governmental Youth Organization established in 1986 and member of the European Youth Forum in Brussels as an INGYO. YEU looks forward to increase tolerance and awareness between different countries, cultures and traditions, and to promote a greater level of comprehension through the development of various youth activities.
The main aim of YEU is to promote peace, understanding and co-operation between the young people of the world, in a spirit of respect for human rights. YEU is a non-profit making youth organization independent of all political affiliation, run by young people for young people by means of a democratic structure.
About the project:
When we think of the word “youth”, the first things we associate it with are energy, creativity, passion and enthusiasm. Yet, there is another side of this coin as well; inactivity, disappointment, resignation and indignation. And unfortunately, there is a big percentage of young people in Europe -and even the majority in some European countries- that represent the negative one.
Indeed, the economic crisis had seriously hit youth. Many times they have to follow a career path distinct from their field of studies as the needs are more market-oriented. At the same time there is a great concern about the number of NEETs youth (not in employment, education or training) which is increasing more and more. Not being part of the labor market for a long period, could produce bad consequences loss of self-confidence, self-esteem, motivation and creativity. Because of this, young people are not so interested in participating in the society, they feel ashamed of themselves, they do not socialize anymore with their friends, and they finally become socially excluded.
European Union is more than concerned about the youth unemployment problem and there are various initiatives and actions being taken to reinforce youth and battle unemployment. But this is just a start. We, as youth organizations, need to act on local level to ensure that more young unemployed people will be influenced by those EU actions, initiatives and policies. We have to give them again the stimulus and the chance to dream about their lives and design their future the way they want. And at the same time, we should equip them with all the necessary competences which will make them skilful hunters when searching for a job. In this context, the idea of our project “JOB HUNTERS” was born.
The aim of this project is to inspire young people to re-enter the labor market after exploring and enhancing their skills and potential. This project will be the starting point that will help them to reconsider their abilities and capacities and inspire them to enter the labor market.
IYC15 will empower the participants to take a proactive role and, at the same time, will motivate and encourage unemployed or with fewer opportunities youth to start searching again for a job from another perspective after discovering themselves and their potential. All the activities that will be carried out during the training course will be based on non-formal education methods and experiential outdoor education.
Objectives of the project:
• To identify the reasons -other than the economic crisis- of unemployment in different partner countries. For example low self-esteem, inactiveness during the unemployment period, etc.
• To exchange opinions on the meaning of the term “work” and its value in our everyday lives;
• To explore the connection/relation between labor market and field of study and the social implications derived by this relation;
• To identify the strengths and weaknesses of their personality on several sectors;
• To develop specific skills (spoken communication, making effective presentations, time management, teamwork, etc.) which will later foster their employability;
• To explore self-employability concept with a focus on social entrepreneurship;
• To empower youth to (re-)enter the labor market.
Profile of participants:
- Be above 18 years old
- Willing to get involved in and interested in the topic of the project
- Willing to share the new knowledge with the members of CID once he/she gets back
- Able to work in English
- Able to attend the entire duration of the project
Financial aspects of the project:
- Food and accommodation will be 100% covered by the organizers
- Travel costs will be covered 70% of maximum 170 EUR.
PARTICIPATION FEE: 30 EUR
SENDING FEE (payable to CID): 500 MKD