Project place: Lisbon, Portugal
Project dates: 9-17 October 2017
Advance Planning Meeting: 15-17 September 2017
Application deadline: 2nd August 2017
ABOUT THE PROJECT
Each year the editorial board of the Oxford Dictionary chooses the, so called, word of the year. In 2016 this title was given
to the neologism “posttruth,” which is meant as “relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.” The term itself appeared as early as in the 90s, however only now has it moved into the mainstream, being especially used within the context of the Brexit, the refugee crisis, the Trump candidacy and presidency or the Russian propaganda concerning the situation in Ukraine.
The reason this youth exchange will be implemented is because we are concerned with the posttruth politics being ever more present within the EU. We notice that we are now living in times when more and more politicians are appealing to people’s emotions and fears, rather than to their reason. The politics is being based upon constant information noise, in which the boundary between a fact and an opinion, a truth and a falsehood, information and misinformation, becomes blurry. In this environment, in which even long and repeatedly disclaimed falsehoods can carry on “living”, the politicians do not try to diagnose and solve existing problems based on evidence and facts. Instead, they strive to provoke strong emotions and appeal to a prejudice already existing within the society, oftentimes using slogans devoid of any connection to the reality.
This youth exchange has 3 main themes: current affairs (media&politics), critical thinking and youth participation. We think that the only way we can combat the post-truth politics is by working on developing the critical and analytical thinking skills within the society and by promoting the freedom of press.
This particular project will be focused on youth and it will be the youngsters themselves, who will create the final product of the project: an NFE module/activity on the YE topic. In the follow-up phase the youngsters will implement the activity within their communities.
– to help young people to develop their critical and analytical thinking capabilities
– to promote pluralism, freedom of press and freedom of expression
– to combat populism, extremism, censorship and propaganda
– to encourage youth to follow current national and EU affairs
– to create a new NFE module on critical thinking in the posttruth era
– to promote the use of the NFE methodology in formal education settings
– to promote critical thinking among the European society
– to promote the knowledge of Bairro Padre Cruz and Carnide areas
– to create intercultural learning moments among the participants from several European countries and between them and the community of Carnide
- workshops (nonformal methodology)
- street interviews
- presentations on current situation in home countries
- documentary watching & debating
- study visits (museum & newspaper offices)
- preparation of an NFE module on critical thinking in the posttruth era
- implementation of the NFE module with support from the sending organization
PROFILE OF PARTICIPANTS:
- age 18+
- be interested in the topic
- take active part in the preparatory phase: investigate and prepare presentations
- be ready for active participation and contribution
- take active part in the followup phase: implement the NFE module at least 1 (an activity of about 3h for a group of young people)
- contribute to the visibility and dissemination of the project
- the group leader will have to lead some of the YE ́s activities
- able to work and discuss in English
- willing to share their experience with CID
ACCOMMODATION and FINANCES:
All costs related to accommodation and food will be covered by the hosting organization.
Travel costs will be covered up to 360 EUR. The travel costs will be reimbursed according to E+ rules within 3 months after the youth exchange upon collecting all tickets and invoices.
Participation fee: NONE
Sending fee: 500 MKD