Project dates: 01.03.2020 – 30.04.2020 (2 months)
Project place: Nicosia, Cyprus
Deadline for applying: URGENT!
This project is organized by YEU Cyprus, that stands for Youth for Exchange and Understanding Cyprus and it is a nonpolitical, non-governmental organization (NGO) based in Nicosia, Cyprus.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The project aims to encourage young people to believe in themselves and improve their artistic and interpersonal skills by exploring, interacting, experiencing and recording the traditions and the culture of Cyprus. By organizing different events for the society, engaging in solidarity activities and promoting volunteerism, we expect to make young people more active as citizens. The project will ensure the promotion of social inclusion and equal opportunities.
Our long-term goal is to involve volunteers in public activities and events with the purpose to rekindle the interest of young Cypriots in the rich and multidimensional cultural heritage of the island.
Together with the volunteers, we will realize a variety of different events, revolving around Tradition and Cultural Heritage, such as a Cultural Festival, Music events, a Human Library event, Sports events and many more. In this way, the volunteers will have the opportunity of assisting the coordinating team and gain through this experience useful organizational and social skills.
In parallel with these events, they can additionally lead intercultural workshops and personal projects (movie nights, traditional games nights, language courses, theatre, music, dance, etc.) to promote their own countries and volunteerism; with access to a conference room, music equipment and art materials.
EVS must be full-time service for the volunteer. Her/his project activities (including language and other training activities relating to the project) should take up at least 30 and not more than 38 hours per week (around 7 hours per day). The volunteer is entitled to two consecutive free days per week and two days of holiday per month.
- Competencies and motivation to work with people coming from different backgrounds. They should be willing to learn new things.
- Even if is not a strict prerequisite, would be preferable for the volunteers to have an artistic or cultural background.
- Preferably be over 20 years old, open-minded towards multiple working methods, different languages and cultures and be interested to create new experiences in an inter-cultural environment.
- They should also show that they are able to support themselves financially-wise, throughout the period that the project is being carried out.
- We do not require any previous qualifications, educational level, specific experience or more than basic language knowledge.
The accommodation will be at a house close to the city center of Nicosia. Four of the volunteers will share a house in Samou Street and the other three will share an apartment in Stasinou Street which are very close to YEU office. Each volunteer will have their own bedroom and will share the common areas such as the kitchen facilities and living room.
Every volunteer will receive 130 Euros for food allowance and 110 Euros for pocket money each month. The accommodation will be provided by YEU Cyprus. The volunteers are requested to be very careful on electricity and water bills. A maximum allowance of 75 Euros will be provided for Electricity and Water bills per month for each house. In case that amount is exceeded, the volunteers will be requested to provide the extra costs.