Project place: Vienna, Austria
Project dates: 17-23 July
Deadline for applying: 19.05.2022
About the project
Europe is involved in global injustices, both historically through colonial history as well as in the present through ongoing economic and political injustices. European governments and companies have been enabling and driving unacceptable working conditions, land theft, genocides and civil wars, lack of access to vaccines and medication, the disappearance of cultures and languages, etc. in the Global South. It is more than urgent for Europeans to step up in two ways:
1) to raise awareness for European involvement in global injustices and how this is related to colonial history;
2) to hold decision-makers in Europe accountable for these injustices Creating campaigns with young people against neocolonialism.
In this training you learn how to create social media or activist campaigns around neocolonialism. You will identify a struggle or hot topic you want to work on and you will work on it during the training in an international group. The campaigns we finish will be published online on the channels of Service Civil International (SCI) and its partner organisations. Participants will learn basics in campaign strategy, how to launch successful social media campaigns, how to put pressure on decision-makers and how to deal with backlash. Two parts of the training: Online meetup with the group and with activists from the Global South as an intro to the training.
The participants will be staff, activists and volunteers from volunteering and youth organisations. All participants will be expected and stimulated to contribute to the activities and discussions. They are very welcome and invited to come up with their own ideas and present some methods or workshops they are experienced in and they want to share. Please contact us in advance to tell us about it and we will see how it can fit best in the seminar agenda. Additionally, we are looking for participants who are motivated and willing to subsequently disseminate and promote the project outcomes within their organisations and local communities and develop new initiatives and projects on these topics in the future – with the support of their sending organisations.
All participants selected for this project must meet the following criteria
- be 18 years old or older
- Live in one of the countries of our partner organisations: Albania, Austria, Czech Republic, Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, North Macedonia, Portugal, Slovenia, Tunisia, Ukraine
- might need to be fully protected against COVID-19 (vaccinated with a vaccine accepted by Austrian authorities or recently recovered) in order to enter Austria and to participate in the project
- be able to work in English
- be interested in the training topics (neo-colonialism, global justice) and have a strong motivation to act as a multiplier
- commit to implementing the learned knowledge and skills in practice back home
- commit to being present for the full duration of the training
- We explicitly encourage participants of all genders, sexual orientations, abilities, races and ethnic backgrounds to apply. We prioritize applications of people who experience racism (i.e. BIPOC applicants – Black, Indigenous and People of Color).
ACCOMMODATION and FINANCES:
All costs related to accommodation and food will be covered by the hosting organization.
Travel costs will be reimbursed up to 275 EUR.
Participation fee: NONE!
Sending fee: 500 MKD